National CAPACD Newsletter: June 2012
KRC’s Hee Joo Yoon is Champion of Change, Meets President Obama
On April 26th, Hee Joo Yoon of the Korean Resource Center (KRC) in Los Angeles met with President Obama as part of the “Champions of Change” program’s one-year anniversary. In an hour-long discussion with the President, Ms. Yoon and eleven other Champions discussed their work in the community while highlighting important issues and challenges that continue to face low-income neighborhoods today.
Lisa Hasegawa remarked, “It was not only an experience of a lifetime, but a huge leap forward for NHPI community empowerment, and coordinated representation at national policy tables. I truly believe that we will look back and mark this gathering as the beginning of something amazing.”
Join the 2012 Home for Good campaign!
Please join National CAPACD, the National Council of La Raza, National Urban League and other civil rights leaders in participating in the Home for Good campaign and help keep families in their homes for good!
We are engaging community leaders and cultivating champions to energize a base around housing issues. Our ultimate goal is to help shape the debate on housing policy and elevate the real threats to preserve housing opportunity for all. The Home for Good campaign will challenge presidential candidates to:
- Stop needless foreclosures
- Expand affordable rental housing
- Revive a sustainable path to homeownership
Partners can support the campaign in a variety of ways:
- Show your support of the H4G campaign by adding your organization’s name to the petition requesting presidential candidates to seek sensible housing reform
- Host or co-host regional town halls or rallies on housing issues such as affordable and workforce housing, maintaining homeownership opportunities, neighborhood stabilization and recovery, foreclosure prevention, and immigrant housing rights
- Disseminate the H4G consumer voter guide (Spanish version)—a voter guide that cites major pieces of consumer legislation and how congressional members voted on them.
- Be part of the echo chamber on housing issues with local media
National CAPACD ACTION Technical Assistance (TA) Program - Grants Now Available
If you are a National CAPACD member organization and interested in providing or receiving Technical Assistance for Community Economic Development in the subject matter areas of (1) Small Business Assistance, (2) Asset Building or (3) Community Planning, please visit our website. Our ACTION Program will provide each TA recipient with 4 TA group sessions, 8 hours of individual consulting, funding to attend our annual convention, and a small grant. There will be a non-mandatory informational webinar for members interested in applying for the program on Friday, June 29, 2012 at 3pm Eastern time, noon Pacific, 9am Hawaii.